Back when I first began my BLOG, I wanted to share my stamping passion with you and I also wanted to share my love of food with you. I featured a "Monday's with Mike" and my hubby, Mike, would cook a meal and I would share it with you here....good or bad, thumbs up or down. The feature was a hit and some of you even tried the recipes I posted and gave me feedback after you fixed it. Well, Mike got lazy and quit cooking, no matter how much I tried to shame him into guilt for abandoning you. It didn't work. Well, he cooked a fabulous meal tonight and I think we're back on with the Monday's with Mike. I'll post his meals once a week and it will be a "Monday with Mike" feature. Tonight - SCALLOPS with ORANGES and ROSEMARY - yummy! Let me know what you think. Here's a picture of the presentation -
4 navel oranges
1 tblsp olive oil
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 1/2 lbs sea scallops (wash and pat dry)
1 sm red onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
6 cups mesclun salad greens
fresh rosemary sprigs for garnish
What to do:
1. Remove 5 (3") strips of orange zest with a vegetable peeler. Slice 2 of the strips into the thinnest, longest strips possible. Leave the 3 remaining strips whole.
2. Remove the peel and pith from the oranges. With a small knife, remove the sections (over a bowl)
3. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the rosemary sprigs and the 3 whole strips of orange zest; cook, sirring frequently until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add one-third of the scallops and cook, turning with tongs, until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to medium boal. Repeat two more times with the remaining scallops.
4. Add onion and garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Increase the heat to high; add half of the orange sections, any liquid from the cooked scallops, the salt, vinegar and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 2 more minutes. Discard the orange zest and rosemary sprigs. Return the scallops to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until heated through, about 1 - 2 minutes.
5. Arrange the greens on plates and top with the remaining orange sections. Spoon the scallops and sauce over the oranges. Garnish with the thin strips of orange zest and fresh rosemary springs.